If you need high capacity, super fast, low latency growth for your small-cell fronthaul network, dark fiber from Lumos Networks can help. Increased use of mobile devices mean that many carriers need to scale bandwidth fast to deliver what their customers need. Lumos' dark fiber service is a secure, cost-effective and scalable solution to connect small cells with the base band unit.
NEED: High-Performance, Scalable Connectivity to Small Cell Sites
With the explosion of mobile devices, the demand for data is spreading and climbing at an unparalleled pace. This growth is quickly exposing gaps in mobile network coverage where there is not enough capacity to handle peak traffic or reach to serve users. Wireless carriers are turning to the deployment of small cell sites to fill these gaps because these cells provides a pin-point solution, adding capacity and coverage precisely where it is needed.
When carriers deploy small cells, they need to extend, or fronthaul, their network to reach the small cells, which requires connectivity with maximum performance and scalability. Otherwise, the fronthaul network to the small cells becomes a bottleneck.
SOLUTION: Lumos Dark Fiber
Lumos Dark Fiber is ideal for the speed and growth needs of small-cell fronthaul networks, providing physical connectivity with high capacity and minimal latency.
- Performance – Lumos Dark Fiber delivers physical connectivity without network protocols that can introduce latency.
- Scalability – With Dark Fiber, network capacity is easily increased as bandwidth requirements grow.
- Control – Dark Fiber provides the freedom to choose the network equipment and protocols that best meet a carrier’s specific needs.
- Cost-Effective – When bandwidth increases, monthly costs remain consistent and predictable.
- Secure – Dark Fiber provides a private, fully dedicated physical network infrastructure to secure mobile traffic.
HOW IT WORKS
Lumos supplies dark fiber between each small cell and the centralized Base Band Unit (BBU) at the macro cell site. The carrier provides the equipment needed to light the fiber, as well as the systems and resources to monitor and manage the lit services.
- Dark fiber – available generally on/near Lumos metro and long-haul service areas
- Network construction competency – Dark fiber leverages Lumos’ core competence in building new fiber networks
- Premium Carrier Ethernet network – available to connect the small-cell fronthaul network to Mobile Switching Centers (MSCs) on the backhaul network